© 2008 Provincial Grand Court of Wessex
Court of ÆĐELRED No. 66
Meeting at The Masonic Hall, off High Street,  Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset. TA8 1NX Regular meetings of the Court are held on the 3rd. Monday in March, May,  and October (Installation). CONTACT SECRETARY: W. Bro. David R. Attwater, ProvJGW PROVINCIAL GRAND SECRETARY 100 Avonmouth Road, Bristol, BS11 9NA (Home Phone: 01179 38  0271     Mob: 07443 54  9721 e-mail: dattwater50@sky.com  ORATION : THE COURT of ÆĐELRED  No. 66, 3rd. July 2010  by W.& Em.Bro. Colin Lowther, Acting Provincial Eminent Grand Prior of Wessex And God said, Let there be Light and there was Light. Everyone here today will have heard that phrase at some time in his Masonic career. Brethren, we are gathered here today in harmony and peace, and privileged to be present at, and to participate in, the consecration of the newest Court of Athelstan, the fourth Court in the Province of Wessex. Yet, Brethren, you are but camping out in this Temple at Nailsea. Temporary residents waiting to move on. This   is   not   to   be   the   permanent   home   of   ÆĐELRED   Court,   for   that   is   to   be   further   South,   about   20   miles   away   at   Burnham   on Sea.
Most, if not all of the founders of ÆĐELRED Court, will be familiar with the Masonic Temple in Burnham. The address in the Somerset year book is given as "Up a lane opposite the Somerset & Dorset Public House", Burnham on Sea. That building, which is so easy for a regular visitor to find, but so difficult for a first time visitor. It is tucked away, out of sight in one of the many side streets and alleyways leading off the High Street in Burnham. Yet that building, like Burnham itself is steeped in history. Craft,   Royal   Arch   Chapter,   Mark,   Royal   Ark   Mariners,   Red   Cross   of   Constantine   and   the   Operatives   all   meet   there.   Now   another chapter is to be added to the history of the Masonic Temple at Burnham on Sea. The founding of a new Court of the Masonic Order of Athelstan. The newest Court in the Order of Athelstan. The   town   of   Burnham   can   trace   its   history   back   to   Roman   Times.   There   are   ancient   records   of   a   settlement   at   the   mouth   of   the River   Parrett   where   it   meets   Bridgwater   Bay.   A   small   village   until   the   late   1700`s   when   tourism   found   it.   Reclaiming   the   land   on the   Somerset   levels   has   taken   place   in   that   area   from   time   immemorial.      The   biggest   set   back   in   the   reclamation   of   the   land, was   without   a   doubt,   the   great   flood   of   1607   and   it   is   probable   that   the   surge   of   water   reached   as   far   inland   as   Nailsea   itself, where we meet today. Burnham on Sea, is well known for its Lighthouse or Lighthouses. The   first   recorded   Light   was   on   top   of   the   tower   of   the   14th   century   church   of   St.   Andrews,   later,   in   the   1800's,   to   be   replaced with a purpose built Lighthouse. There    are    three    lighthouses    in    Burnham,    four    if    you    count    Burnham    Lighthouse    Assemblage,    although,    apart    from    the Assemblage, only one Lighthouse functions, the old wooden lighthouse on the sands. Somerset,   and   Burnham   in   particular,   has   ancient   Masonic   connections.   The   Masonic   Province   of   Somerset   was   founded   in 1770   and   the   Rural   Philanthropic   Lodge,   now   number   291,   although   it   has   had   at   least   five   numbers   in   its   chequered   history, meeting in the Temple at Burnham, was founded in 1793. The   Masonic   Order   of   Athelstan   is   young   by   comparison.   Yet,   like   Freemasonry   some   200   years   ago,   the   Order   is   thriving   and moving from strength to strength, growing month by month and year by year. The   new   Court,   ÆĐELRED   Court   number   66,   takes   its   name   from   a   well   known   but   not   very   popular   Anglo   Saxon   King,   Ethelred the II or, as he is better known, Ethelred the Unready. Born   in   968,   King   of   the   English   from   March   978   until   his   death   in   April   1016.   He   had   succeeded   to   the   throne   at   the   age   of   10 following the murder of his half brother Edward, in nearby Corfe Castle. Edward was later to become Edward the Martyr. Ethelred, was crowned King of the English at Kingston upon Thames where Athelstan and five other Saxon Kings, were also crowned. A stone, believed to be a Coronation Stone has been recovered and now stands in the High Street at Kingston upon Thames. History has been unkind to Ethelred the II. Modern historians suggest that the title, "The Unready", was not justified. A   strict   interpretation   of   the   Anglo   Saxon   words,   unraed   or   unraedy   is   "ill   advised".   The   name   Ethelred   is   interpreted   as   Good Counsel. A true interpretation of the name Ethelred the Unready is, "Good Counsel, ill advised". Many historians now believe that Ethelred II was the victim of circumstances. Historical research completed in the late 1980 f s suggest that it was not Ethelred who was the "unready", but his advisors. They   were   looking   after   the   interests   of   the   wealthy   landed   gentry,   who   in   turn   were   trying   to   recover   the   losses   incurred,   when Ethelred's    predecessor,    Edward    was    on    the    throne,    and    who    had    handed    most    of    their    lands    and    family    treasures    to    the Monasteries. Ethelred was once described as "A young man in respect of years. Elegant in his manners, with an attractive face and handsome appearance". Not unlike the new Worshipful Master of ÆĐELRED Court. Like   the   remaining   lighthouse   in   Burnham   on   Sea,   which   shines   its   brilliant   light   outwards   across   Bridgwater   Bay,   may   ÆĐELRED Court   become   a   powerful   light   in   the   Order   of   Athelstan,   shining   inwards   over   the   Somerset   Levels   and,   under   the   direction   of   Right Worshipful   Brother   Malcolm   Burns,   the   Provincial   Grand   Master   of   this   Province   of   Wessex,   lead   the   Order   of   Athelstan   on   from Strength to Strength. Brethren, may the Light of God, shine upon this Court, until time shall be no more.
                   © 2008 Provincial Grand Court of Wessex
The Provincial Grand Court of WESSEX
Court of ÆĐELRED No. 66
Meeting at The Masonic Hall, off High Street,Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset. TA8 1NX TA8 1NX  Regular meetings of the Court are held on the 3rd. Monday in March, May (Installation), and October. CONTACT SECRETARY: W. Bro. David R. Attwater, ProvJGW Provincial Grand Secretary 100 Avonmouth Road, Bristol, Avon. BS11 9NA (Home Phone: 01793 80  0271     Mob: 07967 69  0263 e-mail: dattwater50@sky.com  ORATION : THE COURT of ÆĐELRED  No. 66, 3rd. July 2010  by W.& Em.Bro. Colin Lowther, Acting Provincial Eminent Grand Prior of Wessex And God said, Let there be Light and there was Light. Everyone here today will have heard that phrase at some time in his Masonic career. Brethren, we are gathered here today in harmony and peace, and privileged to be present at, and to participate in, the consecration of the newest Court of Athelstan, the fourth Court in the Province of Wessex. Yet, Brethren, you are but camping out in this Temple at Nailsea. Temporary residents waiting to move on. This   is   not   to   be   the   permanent   home   of   ÆĐELRED   Court,   for   that   is   to   be   further   South,   about   20   miles   away   at Burnham on Sea.
Most, if not all of the founders of ÆĐELRED Court, will be familiar with the Masonic Temple in Burnham. The   address   in   the   Somerset   year   book   is   given   as   "Up   a   lane   opposite   the   Somerset   &   Dorset   Public   House", Burnham on Sea. That building, which is so easy for a regular visitor to find, but so difficult for a first time visitor. It is tucked away, out of sight in one of the many side streets and alleyways leading off the High Street in Burnham. Yet that building, like Burnham itself is steeped in history. Craft,   Royal   Arch   Chapter,   Mark,   Royal   Ark   Mariners,   Red   Cross   of   Constantine   and   the   Operatives   all   meet   there. Now another chapter is to be added to the history of the Masonic Temple at Burnham on Sea. The founding of a new Court of the Masonic Order of Athelstan. The newest Court in the Order of Athelstan. The   town   of   Burnham   can   trace   its   history   back   to   Roman   Times.   There   are   ancient   records   of   a   settlement   at   the mouth   of   the   River   Parrett   where   it   meets   Bridgwater   Bay.   A   small   village   until   the   late   1700`s   when   tourism   found   it. Reclaiming   the   land   on   the   Somerset   levels   has   taken   place   in   that   area   from   time   immemorial.      The   biggest   set   back in   the   reclamation   of   the   land,   was   without   a   doubt,   the   great   flood   of   1607   and   it   is   probable   that   the   surge   of   water reached as far inland as Nailsea itself, where we meet today. Burnham on Sea, is well known for its Lighthouse or Lighthouses. The   first   recorded   Light   was   on   top   of   the   tower   of   the   14th   century   church   of   St.   Andrews,   later,   in   the   1800's,   to   be replaced with a purpose built Lighthouse. There   are   three   lighthouses   in   Burnham,   four   if   you   count   Burnham   Lighthouse   Assemblage,   although,   apart   from the Assemblage, only one Lighthouse functions, the old wooden lighthouse on the sands. Somerset,   and   Burnham   in   particular,   has   ancient   Masonic   connections.   The   Masonic   Province   of   Somerset   was founded   in   1770   and   the   Rural   Philanthropic   Lodge,   now   number   291,   although   it   has   had   at   least   five   numbers   in   its chequered history, meeting in the Temple at Burnham, was founded in 1793. The   Masonic   Order   of   Athelstan   is   young   by   comparison.   Yet,   like   Freemasonry   some   200   years   ago,   the   Order   is thriving and moving from strength to strength, growing month by month and year by year. The   new   Court,   ÆĐELRED   Court   number   66,   takes   its   name   from   a   well   known   but   not   very   popular   Anglo   Saxon King, Ethelred the II or, as he is better known, Ethelred the Unready. Born   in   968,   King   of   the   English   from   March   978   until   his   death   in   April   1016.   He   had   succeeded   to   the   throne   at   the age of 10 following the murder of his half brother Edward, in nearby Corfe Castle. Edward was later to become Edward the Martyr. Ethelred, was crowned King of the English at Kingston upon Thames where Athelstan and five other   Saxon   Kings,   were   also crowned. A   stone,   believed   to   be   a   Coronation   Stone   has   been   recovered   and   now   stands   in   the   High   Street   at   Kingston   upon Thames. History has been unkind to Ethelred the II. Modern historians suggest that the title, "The Unready", was not justified. A   strict   interpretation   of   the   Anglo   Saxon   words,   unraed   or   unraedy   is   "ill   advised".   The   name   Ethelred   is   interpreted   as Good Counsel. A true interpretation of the name Ethelred the Unready is, "Good Counsel, ill advised". Many historians now believe that Ethelred II was the victim of circumstances. Historical   research   completed   in   the   late   1980 f s   suggest   that   it   was   not   Ethelred   who   was   the   "unready",   but   his advisors. They   were   looking   after   the   interests   of   the   wealthy   landed   gentry,   who   in   turn   were   trying   to   recover   the   losses   incurred, when   Ethelred's   predecessor,   Edward   was   on   the   throne,   and   who   had   handed   most   of   their   lands   and   family   treasures to the Monasteries. Ethelred was once described as "A young man in respect of years. Elegant in his manners, with an attractive face and handsome appearance". Not unlike the new Worshipful Master of ÆĐELRED Court. Like   the   remaining   lighthouse   in   Burnham   on   Sea,   which   shines   its   brilliant   light   outwards   across   Bridgwater   Bay,   may ÆĐELRED   Court   become   a   powerful   light   in   the   Order   of   Athelstan,   shining   inwards   over   the   Somerset   Levels   and,   under the   direction   of   Right   Worshipful   Brother   Malcolm   Burns,   the   Provincial   Grand   Master   of   this   Province   of   Wessex,   lead   the Order of Athelstan on from Strength to Strength. Brethren, may the Light of God, shine upon this Court, until time shall be no more.