© 2008 Provincial Grand Court of Wessex
Bricgstowe Court No. 75:  Meeting at Freemason`s Hall, Park Street, Bristol. BS1 5NH Regular meetings of the Court are held on the 3rd Tuesday in January, 1st. Monday in June and 1st, Tuesday in September (Installation) CONTACT SECRETARY: W.Bro. Nigel F. Bevan, PProvGBanB e-mail:  nigel.bevan@blueyonder.co.uk Address:13 Ellesmere Road, Brislington, Bristol, BS4 5DY Phone: 01179 83 9885 ORATION : The Court of Bricgstowe No. 75, 2nd April 2011 by W.& Em.Bro. Colin Lowther, Provincial Eminent Grand Prior Elect of Wessex. Most Worshipful Grand Master, Worshipful Master, Worshipful Brethren, & Brethren all. Brethren, we are assembled here today in harmony and peace, and privileged to be present at, and to participate in, the consecration of the newest Court of Athelstan, the sixth Court in the Province of Wessex.
Bricgstowe Court No. 75. Bristol   or   is   it   Bricgstowe,   has   a   recorded   history   of   over   1000   years.   There   is   an   unrecorded   history   going   back   to   pre   Roman times. It was a small market town or burgh from as early as the 10th Century and forming part of the Kingdom of Wessex. 1000   years   has   seen   many   changes.   We   meet   here   today   in   this   ancient   city   and   in   this   wonderful   Masonic   Temple.   The   Bristol   we know   today   has   grown   from   a   small   town   into   a   thriving   city.   The   original   Kingdom   of   Wessex   disappeared   many   years   ago   but   the name Wessex lives on and we now have the Province of Wessex in the Masonic Order of Athelstan. The   building   in   which   we   meet   today   is   the   Province   of   Bristol. All   of   the   Orders   and   Degrees   administered   by   the   Province   of   Bristol meet   in   this   one   building.   Craft,   Royal   Arch,   Mark,   Royal   Ark   Mariners   and   the   Camp   of   Baldwyn.   The   Camp   of   Baldwyn   holds   a unique position in English Freemasonry. It incorporates in one body, five Royal Orders of Knighthood. This   building   was   acquired   by   the   Province   in   1872   and   with   the   exception   of   a   number   of   years   following   damage   by   enemy   action in 1940, every meeting has been held within these walls. As   the   Masonic   Order   of Athelstan,   we   are   youngsters   in   the   Masonic   world.   But   our   Order   is   based   on   foundations   laid   down   when Bricgstowe   was   but   a   youngster. Ten   Provinces   each   with Ten   Courts.   Representing,   as   near   as   possible,   the   original   Kingdoms   and Guilds   as   they   were   set   up   by   King Athelstan   during   his   reign   as   First   King   of   the   English. All   this   when   Bristol   was   just   a   village   near a bridge. Since   that   date,   there   have   been   many   changes.   Bristol   was   granted   a   Royal   Charter   in   1155   and   was   granted   County   status   in 1373 separate from Gloucestershire and Somerset. The Masonic Province of Bristol has as its boundary, the original city boundary. The   history   of   Bristol   as   a   city   and   a   Province   is   an   inspiration   to   us   all.   1460,   William   Canynge,   Mayor   of   Bristol.   St   Mathyas   Chapel being in ruins was this year erected by him into a Freemasons Hall. We have Canynge Lodge. In   1497,   John   Cabot   set   sail   from   the   port   of   Bristol   and   discovered   North America.   Bristol   has   Cabot   Lodge   and   Cabot   Chapter.   In 1532, Robert and Nicholas Thorne founded the Bristol Grammar School. They have Robert Thorne Lodge. John   Whitson,   in   his   will,   left   funds   for   the   foundation   of   the   Redmaids   School,   the   oldest   surviving   girls   school   in   England.   They have   Whitson   Lodge.   Edward   Hodges   Bailey,   the   Sculptor   created   the   frieze   above   the   main   entrance   to   this   building.   His   name   is commerated by Baily Lodge. Colston, Brunel and Chatterton, all famous names with strong Bristol connections. There   are   records   of   a   Masonic   Lodge   in   Bristol   in   1725,   the   Nags   Head   Lodge   No.   29.   Not,   I   am   sure   named   after   a   famous Bristolian but the hostelry in which they met. 1739   saw   the   first   Methodist   Chapel,   the   building   still   exists.   1771,   Records   of   the   Royal   Sussex   Lodge   of   Hospitality   show   that   the Lodge was opened at half past eight and closed immediately with all due Harmony and Decorum. In   1844   Brunel's   SS   Great   Britain   was   launched,   1864,   the   Bristol   Suspension   bridge   was   built,   both   still   here   today   and   we   finish the list with Concorde. The   Province   of   Bristol   was   created   in   1786   at   the   request   of   Brother   Thomas   Dunkerley.   He   was   the   first   Provincial   Grand   Master for   Bristol.   There   are   now   36   Lodges   in   the   Province   of   Bristol,   all   meeting   in   this   wonderful   building.   During   1786,   Dunkerley   was also the Provincial Grand Master in five other Provinces. However,   we   are   assembled   here   today   not   to   look   back.   We   look   to   the   future   and   the   growth   of   the   Masonic   Order   of Athelstan. As Court number 75 we represent a milestone in the history of the Order. As   Bricgstowe   Court,   we   must   always   remember,   although   we   meet   in   the   heart   of   the   Province   of   Bristol,   we   are   not   Bristol Masons, we are part of the Province of Wessex, meeting in this historic Bristol building. A building steeped in Masonic history.
                   © 2008 Provincial Grand Court of Wessex
Bricgstowe Court No. 75:  Meeting at Freemason`s Hall, Park Street, Bristol. BS1 5NH Regular meetings of the Court are held on the 3rd Tuesday in January, 1st. Monday in June and 1st, Tuesday in September (Installation) CONTACT SECRETARY: W.Bro. Nigel F. Bevan, PProvGBanB e-mail:  nigel.bevan@blueyonder.co.uk Address:13 Ellesmere Road, Brislington, Bristol, BS4 5DY Phone: 01179 83 9885 ORATION : The Court of Bricgstowe No. 75, 2nd April 2011 by W.& Em.Bro. Colin Lowther, Provincial Eminent Grand Prior Elect of Wessex. Most Worshipful Grand Master, Worshipful Master, Worshipful Brethren, & Brethren all. Brethren, we are assembled here today in harmony and peace, and privileged to be present at, and to participate in, the consecration of the newest Court of Athelstan, the sixth Court in the Province of Wessex.
Bricgstowe Court No. 75. Bristol   or   is   it   Bricgstowe,   has   a   recorded   history   of   over   1000   years.   There   is   an   unrecorded   history   going back   to   pre   Roman   times.   It   was   a   small   market   town   or   burgh   from   as   early   as   the   10th   Century   and forming part of the Kingdom of Wessex. 1000   years   has   seen   many   changes.   We   meet   here   today   in   this   ancient   city   and   in   this   wonderful   Masonic Temple.   The   Bristol   we   know   today   has   grown   from   a   small   town   into   a   thriving   city.   The   original   Kingdom of   Wessex   disappeared   many   years   ago   but   the   name   Wessex   lives   on   and   we   now   have   the   Province   of Wessex in the Masonic Order of Athelstan. The   building   in   which   we   meet   today   is   the   Province   of   Bristol. All   of   the   Orders   and   Degrees   administered by   the   Province   of   Bristol   meet   in   this   one   building.   Craft,   Royal   Arch,   Mark,   Royal   Ark   Mariners   and   the Camp   of   Baldwyn.   The   Camp   of   Baldwyn   holds   a   unique   position   in   English   Freemasonry.   It   incorporates in one body, five Royal Orders of Knighthood. This   building   was   acquired   by   the   Province   in   1872   and   with   the   exception   of   a   number   of   years   following damage by enemy action in 1940, every meeting has been held within these walls. As   the   Masonic   Order   of   Athelstan,   we   are   youngsters   in   the   Masonic   world.   But   our   Order   is   based   on foundations    laid    down    when    Bricgstowe    was    but    a    youngster.   Ten    Provinces    each    with   Ten    Courts. Representing,   as   near   as   possible,   the   original   Kingdoms   and   Guilds   as   they   were   set   up   by   King Athelstan during his reign as First King of the English. All this when Bristol was just a village near a bridge. Since   that   date,   there   have   been   many   changes.   Bristol   was   granted   a   Royal   Charter   in   1155   and   was granted   County   status   in   1373   separate   from   Gloucestershire   and   Somerset.   The   Masonic   Province   of Bristol has as its boundary, the original city boundary. The   history   of   Bristol   as   a   city   and   a   Province   is   an   inspiration   to   us   all.   1460,   William   Canynge,   Mayor   of Bristol.   St   Mathyas   Chapel   being   in   ruins   was   this   year   erected   by   him   into   a   Freemasons   Hall.   We   have Canynge Lodge. In   1497,   John   Cabot   set   sail   from   the   port   of   Bristol   and   discovered   North   America.   Bristol   has   Cabot Lodge   and   Cabot   Chapter.   In   1532,   Robert   and   Nicholas   Thorne   founded   the   Bristol   Grammar   School. They have Robert Thorne Lodge. John   Whitson,   in   his   will,   left   funds   for   the   foundation   of   the   Redmaids   School,   the   oldest   surviving   girls school   in   England.   They   have   Whitson   Lodge.   Edward   Hodges   Bailey,   the   Sculptor   created   the   frieze above   the   main   entrance   to   this   building.   His   name   is   commerated   by   Baily   Lodge.   Colston,   Brunel   and Chatterton, all famous names with strong Bristol connections. There   are   records   of   a   Masonic   Lodge   in   Bristol   in   1725,   the   Nags   Head   Lodge   No.   29.   Not,   I   am   sure named after a famous Bristolian but the hostelry in which they met. 1739   saw   the   first   Methodist   Chapel,   the   building   still   exists.   1771,   Records   of   the   Royal   Sussex   Lodge   of Hospitality   show   that   the   Lodge   was   opened   at   half   past   eight   and   closed   immediately   with   all   due Harmony and Decorum. In   1844   Brunel's   SS   Great   Britain   was   launched,   1864,   the   Bristol   Suspension   bridge   was   built,   both   still here today and we finish the list with Concorde. The   Province   of   Bristol   was   created   in   1786   at   the   request   of   Brother   Thomas   Dunkerley.   He   was   the   first Provincial   Grand   Master   for   Bristol.   There   are   now   36   Lodges   in   the   Province   of   Bristol,   all   meeting   in   this wonderful building. During 1786, Dunkerley was also the Provincial Grand Master in five other Provinces. However,   we   are   assembled   here   today   not   to   look   back.   We   look   to   the   future   and   the   growth   of   the Masonic Order of Athelstan. As Court number 75 we represent a milestone in the history of the Order. As   Bricgstowe   Court,   we   must   always   remember,   although   we   meet   in   the   heart   of   the   Province   of   Bristol, we   are   not   Bristol   Masons,   we   are   part   of   the   Province   of   Wessex,   meeting   in   this   historic   Bristol   building. A building steeped in Masonic history.